CathyG
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have recently returned from a very enjoyable week in Croatia. Our first hotel in Petracane was right on the coast with beautiful sea views. My room was a good size with balcony and there was also a fridge, safe (at no extra cost) and air con. The large buffet style dining room provided a good selection of both breakfast and evening meals. We had a local guide in Zadar who took us to the Roman forum and Cathedral. I think the highlight was listening to the sea organ, with its strange sounds being made by the waves. I could easily have stayed here longer. The Krka National Park is definitely worth visiting as the waterfalls are stunning. Some of us took the opportunity to swim there but be warned it is quite uneven underfoot but still worth doing for the experience. We went on to the Bibich Winery where we sampled several wines and enjoyed a delicious tapas lunch. On the way to our second hotel in Tucepi we spent the day in Split. The visit to the Diocletians Palace was very interesting and again the local guide was very good. There are lots of good places to eat lunch and time for a visit to the market or local shopping. Dubrovnik was definitely one of the highlights of the holiday. The first interesting thing is that you have to go through 7km of Bosnia to get there, but all very easily done. Our local guide gave us a very good overview of the ancient and more recent history of the town after which there was the opportunity to take a boat out to a nearby island, take the cable car for fantastic views over Dubrovnik or walk around the city walls. Some of us just about managed to do all three! On another day we took a boat trip out to the islands, unfortunately we did not stop at Hvar as originally planned, but after lunch served on the boat, we arrived at Bol on the island of Brac where we spent some free time. Some of us chose to go to the beach at Zlatski Rat where we were able to swim in the beautiful clear water. The beach is definitely worth going to but is further than the suggested 20 minute walk and this misinformation almost resulted in a few people missing the last boat and being left on the island! The second hotel was also good, with similar room facilities and balcony, again right on the coast with a long promenade with gift shops and places to eat. There was also a morning tour to Makarska which those that went on seemed to enjoy. Our tour guide Alen was very helpful and knowledgeable and for all the guided tours we had an earpiece so that we could easily hear the commentary without having to be right by the guide. Some people were surprised about how long some of the journeys were but a quick look at a map will give you an idea of distances. The coast line is very long and thin, and apart from the late journey to the first hotel, when it was dark, I found there was always plenty of gorgeous scenery to look at or time for a snooze on the coach. In short Croatia is a stunningly beautiful country and coastline, I had a very enjoyable holiday, met some lovely people, and I would definitely recommend Croatia and the Makarska Riviera. I'm sure there is much more that I could have included in this review. If you are contemplating this holiday and would like to know more, please ask.

Cathy

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cathy,

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Croatia. I completely agree with you about it being a stunningly beautiful country.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the community.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Cathy. :thumbup:

Glad you had a great time. Finally hoping to do this next year!

Annam
  • (Member)
(Member)
Cathy

Thanks for the review. I've already booked this trip for next year so it was interesting reading your review

Anna

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Cathy for a great review. I am booked on this holiday on 20th May next year and it is the first one I have done with a two hotel itinerary always preferring to stay in one place. But it was the Krka Park which tempted me so I am really glad to hear it is as beautiful as I imagine. .
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cathy

This is a great review. I am planning to do this trip one day and reading your review has made me want to go there asap!

Jaya

Siouxperhero
(Member)
Hi Cathy,

I think I was on the same weeks holiday as you and would completely endorse all the good things you have to say about the holiday. Croatia is a beautiful country with absolutely stunning scenery. Both hotels were really good, the food was ample, and a great choice, the locals were very friendly and travelling companions were varied and interesting. A thoroughly enjoyable trip which I would heartily recommend to anyone considering it. Can't wait for my next one (Mykanos and Santorini in September).

Great review.

Lesley

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Siouxperhero' wrote:

Hi Cathy,

I think I was on the same weeks holiday as you and would completely endorse all the good things you have to say about the holiday. Croatia is a beautiful country with absolutely stunning scenery. Both hotels were really good, the food was ample, and a great choice, the locals were very friendly and travelling companions were varied and interesting. A thoroughly enjoyable trip which I would heartily recommend to anyone considering it. Can't wait for my next one (Mykanos and Santorini in September).

Great review.

Lesley

Absolutely love this country! Am going on this holiday in May!

Mark

Kezzer46
(Member)
Great review.. Thanks for sharing
Julie L
(Member)
[size=x-small]dear
'CathyG' wrote:

I have recently returned from a very enjoyable week in Croatia. Our first hotel in Petracane was right on the coast with beautiful sea views. My room was a good size with balcony and there was also a fridge, safe (at no extra cost) and air con. The large buffet style dining room provided a good selection of both breakfast and evening meals. We had a local guide in Zadar who took us to the Roman forum and Cathedral. I think the highlight was listening to the sea organ, with its strange sounds being made by the waves. I could easily have stayed here longer. The Krka National Park is definitely worth visiting as the waterfalls are stunning. Some of us took the opportunity to swim there but be warned it is quite uneven underfoot but still worth doing for the experience. We went on to the Bibich Winery where we sampled several wines and enjoyed a delicious tapas lunch. On the way to our second hotel in Tucepi we spent the day in Split. The visit to the Diocletians Palace was very interesting and again the local guide was very good. There are lots of good places to eat lunch and time for a visit to the market or local shopping. Dubrovnik was definitely one of the highlights of the holiday. The first interesting thing is that you have to go through 7km of Bosnia to get there, but all very easily done. Our local guide gave us a very good overview of the ancient and more recent history of the town after which there was the opportunity to take a boat out to a nearby island, take the cable car for fantastic views over Dubrovnik or walk around the city walls. Some of us just about managed to do all three! On another day we took a boat trip out to the islands, unfortunately we did not stop at Hvar as originally planned, but after lunch served on the boat, we arrived at Bol on the island of Brac where we spent some free time. Some of us chose to go to the beach at Zlatski Rat where we were able to swim in the beautiful clear water. The beach is definitely worth going to but is further than the suggested 20 minute walk and this misinformation almost resulted in a few people missing the last boat and being left on the island! The second hotel was also good, with similar room facilities and balcony, again right on the coast with a long promenade with gift shops and places to eat. There was also a morning tour to Makarska which those that went on seemed to enjoy. Our tour guide Alen was very helpful and knowledgeable and for all the guided tours we had an earpiece so that we could easily hear the commentary without having to be right by the guide. Some people were surprised about how long some of the journeys were but a quick look at a map will give you an idea of distances. The coast line is very long and thin, and apart from the late journey to the first hotel, when it was dark, I found there was always plenty of gorgeous scenery to look at or time for a snooze on the coach. In short Croatia is a stunningly beautiful country and coastline, I had a very enjoyable holiday, met some lovely people, and I would definitely recommend Croatia and the Makarska Riviera. I'm sure there is much more that I could have included in this review. If you are contemplating this holiday and would like to know more, please ask.

Cathy

Dear Cathy, advice please, how much Croatian money will I have to take! Lunches, drinks, also do they take euros? As I was told by someone I met on another holiday that this may be possible. Glad you enjoyed yourself and thanks for the holiday advice, I'm really looking forward to how having read your descriptions.x

Bosuncat
(Member)
'marks' wrote:

'Siouxperhero' wrote:

Hi Cathy,

Great review.

Lesley

Absolutely love this country! Am going on this holiday in May!

Mark

From Manchester! 😛

CathyG
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julie,

I think I have answered your previous post in June about how much money I took to Croatia. I'm not aware that they take Euros generally, although I didn't try but certainly at the airport everything was marked up in Kuna and Euros. BTW there is a denomination smaller than the Kuna which you will get as small coins but don't let anyone tell you they are called Matata! (There's a joke there somewhere!) Hope you have a great time when you go. Cathy

SKW2962
(Member)
'CathyG' wrote:

Cathy

Cathy,

Thank you for the review, it has helped me with my decision to go in either May or June 2016. Can you advise on the weather/temperatures, websites I've viewed seem contradictory.

Sandy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
You can spend Euros in Croatia.

Jaya

CathyG
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sandy,

I would say the weather in Croatia is a lot like Italy. The week I was there it was beautifully warm and sunny and usually with a pleasant breeze on the coast. I think it rained over night once but that was all. The coaches and hotels are air conditioned and you can always find some shade if you need it. I'm not a great sun worshipper but I found it lovely. Hope this helps.

Cathy

DCLeigh
(Member)
Hi

Sounds like you had a great time. How did you find to journey to Dubrovnik? I considering booking this trip, but think 2.5 hours might be too long on the coach. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

DCLeigh

DawnH
  • (Member)
(Member)
'DCLeigh' wrote:

Hi

Sounds like you had a great time. How did you find to journey to Dubrovnik? I considering booking this trip, but think 2.5 hours might be too long on the coach. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

DCLeigh

I did this trip last year and while it is a long drive to Dubrovnik the road follows the coast and the scenery is so stunning it made the journey worthwhile.  You do also stop for a comfort stop along the way so it does break the journey up.

I know they have changed the itinerary for this year but when I did it the journey to Dubrovnik didn't seem to take any longer than any of the other coach journeys (with the exception of the trip to Zadar which only took about 30 minutes).

I would say go for it, Dubrovnik is definately worth seeing.

Dawn

RogertheRed
(Member)
'DawnH' wrote:

'DCLeigh' wrote:

Hi

Thanks

DCLeigh

I did this trip last year and while it is a long drive to Dubrovnik the road follows the coast and the scenery is so stunning it made the journey worthwhile.  You do also stop for a comfort stop along the way so it does break the journey up.

I know they have changed the itinerary for this year but when I did it the journey to Dubrovnik didn't seem to take any longer than any of the other coach journeys (with the exception of the trip to Zadar which only took about 30 minutes).

I would say go for it, Dubrovnik is definately worth seeing.

Dawn

I agree entirely with Dawn, the journey time soon passes with stunning scenery and a decent comfort break.

Book it, you won't regret doing so.

Roger

Carleend
(Member)
Thanks for the great review of this trip. Lots of questions answered! Hoping to go this September and after reading your positive review I think I will go ahead ! Did you feel you had enough free or down time on this? On my last tour with a different company I felt rushed all the time and want to avoid this if possible.